Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, September 01, 2007

French Toast and What Happened After

So I'm enjoying my breakfast of french toast - which, if I showed you a picture of it, you'd say "that looks awful!" Too eggy and browned! But naw, man. It tastes great.

Anyway, suddenly I'm still in the middle of mine (I like to linger over a nice weekend brekky), when I become aware of all this clattering and jangling going on in the kitchen. My girlfriend is already in there rinsing dishes and putting them in the dishwasher! I'm like "hey! I wasn't raised that way!" Give me a chance to get it, I'll clean it up. I made the mess, I'll clean it up!

Some people were raised like, "you make a mess, you clean it up." Other people were raised like where they say "if the one person did the work cooking it, then the other person can do the work cleaning up after." But you see, I was raised the first way. I've tried the second way, and while it sounds fair and equitable in theory, in practice I can tell you that all it leads to is a lot of passively-aggressively, needlessly elaborate recipes dirtying the maximum number of bowls and pans. Serious!

I'll clean it up. It's my mess.

EDIT: and then I go in there, and she did all the easy stuff and left me the PAN! Man, that's the hardest part!

1 comment:

dogimo said...

And then other people were raised to see it as: "if you don't clean it up fast enough for my tastes, I'll beat you to it! and then complain about you not doing it!" Or maybe they weren't raised that way. Probably they weren't. But sometimes you raise yourself. Other times, you lower yourself.

That's some deep stuff, right there.