Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hey Hi Ho There Out In Blog-Land! Why Do You Do It?

Hi, everybody! I just wanted to welcome everybody who might stop by and read, and to say feel free to comment on whatever floats your boat, new posts or old. Everybody's welcome. Make yourselves comfortable, as les francais might say. Or, perhaps, dit.

But I have to level with any and all, as well: pull up a chair and spread your ears, because I've got a confession. I honestly don't do this for you. The reader. It's more for me.

Is that alright? Is that considered acceptable?

I don't mean it to be off-putting. If that makes me selfish, well plunk my magic twanger and call me froggy, I guess! It's just who I am: I write for myself. Who else is there to write for? Write for yourself, says I - if other people like it, that's their problem! I've been writing hundreds of songs for dozens of years and they're all pretty much for me, too (with a few groovy exceptions). Anything I write tends to be for myself, and not really for an audience.

In fact, I think that might come across. In fact, I think it ought to be probably pretty obvious. I mean. Look at some of these posts. Who the hell else would appreciate some of this crap? But just in case, I thought I'd better level with you (the indefinite you): yeah, it's more for me.

This is a fun outlet! It's good writing practice. It's a nice way to let off a little creative steam, to twist a few characterizations into corkscrews, to waft some skewed views across the horizon on a crooked breeze, to put some notes out there in post-bottles on the electric tide for whoever to find - whoever, or no one. It's not that anyone would find one and find me. The notes all basically say random jive stuff anyhow! I don't even bother describing the island.

I've met some pretty cool people online, which has been a wonderful surprise and no mistake! But for the most part, my friends - practically nobody I know reads my blog. Again, there are a few groovy exceptions, but for the most part, my friends don't go in for this sort of thing. My friends who live near me get the real thing (me). They're not interested in this. My friends and family who live far away, some of them do check in on the ol' blog from time to time - and rib me when they see me, on some of the more ridiculous entries! At least, since they found out about it (I sure didn't tell them. Kind of a funny story how it got sniffed out actually, well perhaps not funny, perhaps more "you had to be there").

But yeah. That's kind of me, being up front about the ulterior purpose of my blog. It's for me, mostly.

But you're all welcome to it! I sincerely do mean that. It's there for that, even if that's not why it's there.

Yeah. Anyway. I kind of enjoy blogging. It's pretty cool. And some other people have some pretty cool blogs, too! With a lot more focused and invested approach then I have. It took me a long time to start checking out what's out there, but I've gotten into it a bit over the past 12, 18 months or so. Still, barely a toe-tip dip into the vast deeps of what is.

So. How about you folks? Anybody enjoy blogging? Why do other people blog? Is it the enjoyment? Or some other reason.

There seems to be a lot of angst about pumping up one's readership. Somebody needs to explain that one to me some time.

3 comments:

John Dantzer said...

I like your reason for blogging. I'd like to try and employ it myself, but sometimes my ego, or conscience prevents me from writing what I really want.

dogimo said...

Well, I'm not trying to claim exemption from the self-censorship of the good ol' global collective superego. There's plenty of stuff I type up all sweet and complete, only to say..."ah, that might be a little too much just for me. I better leave that one unpublished."

Some of those can be adapted down the road, made a bit more palatable. Others will just have to wait for society to change.

dogimo said...

I have to mention: some of the folks that blog, and are CLEARLY doing it for the love of the great wide world - that is truly inspirational, and way more admirable than my dingy little experiments.

I mean, just 'cause some fucking dick thinks he's an artiste, doesn't mean his aesthetic preference is worth all the kow towing he lays down upon it. It might do such a dude a good turn, to try take his game to a level where maybe he IS aiming for others, setting his sights a tick or two above the bullseye of his own mere artistic integrity.

Or not. For myself, I haven't decided all that. But I don't mean to imply that my way IS the high way.