Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, August 16, 2009

I Can See Now, I've Miscalculated Somewhere

I think I've made a mistake somewhere, with this ham sandwich. I've miscalculated somehow. It's...just a ham sandwich. It doesn't whelm the palate with a sense of its necessity. It seems merely, nutritionally, lunchily adequate.

Perhaps the Tillamook cheddar. It's medium cheddar. It has a full enough sense of itself, and a good pleasing cheesy medium mildness, but hang it all, maybe I should have gone sharp?

The ham is good ham. I went with two slices, because the cheese is sliced a little thick. I think that was a good call, I don't think a lot more would have helped. I don't think piling on is the solution.

I pull my usual so-thin-it-melts coat of mayonnaise across one slice of the bread. I'm still not entirely comfortable with mayonnaise. I apply my mayonnaise with a fork. This pulls the excess up through the prongs, away from the bread.

The bread itself is good. It calls itself a country whole-grain white, and that's a good description. It's firm, hearty, but somewhat neutral. It doesn't have that pronounced wheat flavor (which is fine on many things, but it whittles down your versatile).

I'm not sure where I went wrong. I'm the master of ham sandwich. My ham sandwiches don't taste like this. They don't fall flat like this. What did I do? I don't know what I'm going to do now. I need to know what I did wrong. What am I going to do?

It's just a ham sandwich.

No comments: