Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Shortlist of Songs On Endless Repeat

There seem to be a handful of songs that I can listen to over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, and over, and never get sick of. Or rather, the opposite - I love it more and more as it plays and plays. I sit there like an idiot and just grin.

In most cases, the song will grab me immediately. Sometimes I'll stop whatever sequence was playing, and just put that one song on repeat for a couple hours. Other times I can make it through the rest of the album, but then I'll say "I've got to go back to track 3!" And it's all history from there, for me: away we go, on endless repeat.

I get the sense that others don't listen like this. If true, then call me unusual! But certain songs just grab me, and I grab them back, and too bad for you, song! Because I refuse to let go.

Now sometimes of course, the effect slowly fades - it was just an introductory thing, and the extra super sparkle mojo slips a bit as years pass, and the song withdraws into awesome, just awesome. Into "Great song! I'd listen to it anytime." As opposed to, Great song: I must listen to it for hours, right now.

But for now anyway, and for years with some of these, this is the current crop of ones that reliably and continuously do it to me:
"Flamboyant" - Pet Shop Boys

"Little Lover's So Polite" - Silversun Pickups

"Run" - Snow Patrol

"Buttons" - Sia Furler

"Twice If You're Lucky" - Crowded House

"Sick Muse" - Metric

"Rock 'N' Roll Damnation" - AC/DC

"Punch 'Em In The Dick" - Juicy Karkass

"Reptile" - 7 Worlds Collide

"Fixer" - Pearl Jam

"Favourite Girl" - ALT

"Hallelujah" - The Helio Sequence
- in no particular order. No common denominator, either, really. Not that my ears can see. I don't know why for some particular song, I will love love love it! - yet it doesn't seem needful to pummel myself with it for endless, giddy-stupid grinning repetitions. It's not a question of quality! That's for certain. For most of those bands listed above, the song in question is not even their best song. But there's just something about that song. I have no idea what it is.

There are others, other songs that have fallen out of the rotation, but remain lurking ever-potent, to hijack the playlist the instant they get so much as an earhold. And a few of those listed above seem to be slipping out a bit, in that they may not be getting listened to as regularly. But for now at least, whenever they do, they stick like glue.

I can't get sick of these songs. Can't get enough of them.

Sometimes when it's really bad, I can't even get to the end of the song. I'll be at a minute-fifty, "man, I've got to skip back - hear this baby from the start!"

Oh, yeah. You got to!

3 comments:

limom said...

Young Americans by David Bowie comes to mind when you mention endless repeats, except I only got it on vinyl so I got to get up and do it manually.
How is Sia Furler? Liked her work with Zero 7, been thinking about checking out her music.

dogimo said...

Ms. Furler's recent album Some People Have Real Problems is excellent. I feel as though I reviewed it? I feel as though I've reviewed it in fifty places! But none of them here, though.

There's a very meager mention in a Top H List of Least-Expected Albums.

I need to gather the opinions I've loosed to the wind on this one and give it a proper write up, but overall I can encapsulate and say, that album is bah-gong.

dogimo said...

Add in "Down with a D" - Eye TV!