Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Special Guest Shot: MC Funkee Duncan Pt 1

Funkee Duncan: Yes, yes it's a pleasure joining you here today my man, dogimo as you're calling yourself for some reason - what's up with that?

dogimo: The other one was taken.

Funkee Duncan: Ah, yes.

dogimo: So, what have you got for us today, MC Funkee Duncan?

Funkee Duncan: Well I'd like to talk a little bit about my work, what I've been doing...some of you may not know but the dogimo dog here used to be something of an MC in his own right, isn't that right dog?

dogimo: Yeah well, we don't talk about that here...I'm not ashamed of it.

Funkee Duncan: Rightfully so, you're not! Used to be a very good lyricist, if not a little too esoteric at times. Whatever, we've all got to voice our own concerns, can't all be talking about...

dogimo: ...party, dancing...

Funkee Duncan: ...partyin', raising the roof, act-a-fool type stuff. Sometimes you have to be conscious as well.

dogimo: Thank you.

Funkee Duncan: Thank you myself, I'm a definite party boy in my own right, but lately I've been taking it up to a more profound level in what I do. I've been going to these, acca pella rap contests where they...

dogimo: ...poetry slams, they call it a...

Funkee Duncan: ...well, shit, it's poetry! Hell yes it is. Nobody can tell me what I do is not poetry. But I've been going to these, it's more of an underground thing and a more intellectual thing going on, I'm finding it to be a real outlet.

dogimo: How so, Funkee Dunc?

Funkee Duncan: ( laughs ) You got to have that "interviewer voice" don't you?

Both: ( laughing )

Funkee Duncan: Well, as you say, these people are real poets, they have real skills that I can appreciate. But I think that someone like me, they haven't had a chance to appreciate the intensity, the rawness that I can bring to the party.

dogimo: So how's that working out for you?

Funkee Duncan: Oh, I'm undefeated so far.

dogimo: Nice!

Funkee Duncan: Like I said, I don't think these people really have the background for that more intense level yet. They're very intense with their core experiences and digging into their feelings, but their whole style to the way they even battle, it's so elliptical. They don't really seem to know how to directly reference their opponent, or respond to a taunt properly. This one b____, I went on for two verses about how stupid her hat looked, she left crying! But I think I'm having a more positive influence, to where I can really help people work on those deficiencies if they keep coming back.

dogimo: You're putting on a clinic.

Funkee Duncan: Precisely.

dogimo: You didn't actually call her a b____, did you?

Funkee Duncan: Oh, no, well...you need to be able to judge a room, to be able to judge the crowd, see what the mood is. These coffee houses...it wasn't that kind of party, it's a little more refined than to be calling anybody a b____. Let alone a woman!

dogimo: So, how is it for you without a backing track, no music? That's got to throw you off a bit?

Funkee Duncan: Hell no it doesn't! I've got my own internal rhythm, I can bend it flex it any which way and just build the beat myself with my voice. That don't befront me.

dogimo: So you beat box?

Funkee Duncan: Don't be...beat box! That's trifling, I don't mess with that weak bull...uh. Am I supposed to be cursing on here?

dogimo: I don't know.

Funkee Duncan: Well in any case, beat box, that's some trifling nonsense. I don't need to rely on some played-out gimmick like...make no mistake, there's obviously some staunch pioneers of the game who have incredible talent when it comes to beat box...it's not trifling for them because they're good at it. Your Doug E. Fresh, your Jonesy from Police Academy. It's trifling for me though, to resort to that.

dogimo: Well said.

Funkee Duncan: Even some of your young bucks like Matisyahu, he's got amazing talent in that area.

dogimo: I'm surprised you're into that, Matisyahu.

Funkee Duncan: I don't know why you should be. You know I like a sunshiny reggae vibe to chill to, time to time. He brings a lot of flavor to the form.

dogimo: Yeah, he's alright, but I was just surprised you thought so.

Funkee Duncan: Why, because he's Jewish?

dogimo: Well no...heck, I'm not even sure he's all that Jewish!

Funkee Duncan: No, he's all Jewish. He's got the full hair and beard and plain mode of dress of the hard-core Jew.

dogimo: Well that's the problem, I know that's part of his selling point and all, but I'm just going by the words. When you listen to the songs...quite a bit of the science he's dropping doesn't exactly jibe with what you'd call Orthodox Judaism. Like all this...I don't recall the exact words but he talks about, after we die, returning to the light and then coming back and stuff...he's talking metempsychosis here.

Funkee Duncan: Well perhaps he's more of a Buddhist reinterpretation of the Orthodox Jew.

dogimo: That's Unorthodox though.

Funkee Duncan: Anyway he's not Orthodox, he's Hasidic. That's not the same thing I don't think.

dogimo: It isn't?

Funkee Duncan: See now you're just displaying your ignorance here. You need to look it up before you go complaining about a man's religion.

dogimo: Maybe so, point taken. I was out of line on that one.

-END OF PART 1-

No comments: