Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Tossed salads and scrambled eggs

Has anybody tried that? I imagine many dedicated Frasier fans must have tried it over the years. Just to add a theme dish to their little Frasier get-togethers and Frasier viewage marathons. I imagine that they might put it all together in a big wooden bowl, in some delicately-balanced, perfectly-herbed way; sun-dried tomato mingling with the large fluffy eggs and the rare esoteric greens, maybe a kiss of vinaigrette.

I'm not really a guy who should be blogging about Frasier. I've seen probably 6 total episodes. Or perhaps I've seen 24 episodes and what I've retained has collapsed into 6. I feel as though there was a time when Frasier came on after something that I regularly watched, and half the time I kept watching Frasier, too. Yet I don't seem to recall the specific sits. I do recall the com. I know the characters, the way they want you to know them, know them as if they were friends of yours. To feel fondly disposed toward them. To cherish their quirks. And I do! They seem like nice people. I wouldn't weep for Niles and Daphne, but then I understand that they married at some point after I was no longer watching. I hope it worked out for them.

I think that the show played an important role in the humanization of the snob, in the eyes of the general populace. The Frasier character, when he was first introduced on Cheers, was just a sort of a genial joke at the expense of the upper-browed. But over the years, and particularly with his own series, people began to understand and even empathize with him. Frasier and his bro Niles took effete pickiness and made it comprehensible to the masses. They gave it a box to live in. They began to be admired for their wit, their refined tastes, and even their self-importance - attributes that would have garnered little admiration in the Everyman 80's. And now look! We've got gourmet this, organic that, imported the other thing - all for the picking at your local supergrocer! The Everyman is now allowed to be a snob. That's a good thing right? I mean, I have refined tastes.

I like garlic-stuffed olives.

2 comments:

Sean Scully said...

I have always been equivocal about Frazier and Niles since I am myself at heart an effete East Coast high-brow snob. But that clashes so desperately with my self conception (Simple Southern Boy or perhaps Adoptive Californian, depending on the day and my target audience) that watching Frazier and Niles could sometimes be an uncomfortable experience.

Say, is that a chilled double latte with an organic cranberry biscotti you've got there? That looks yummy.

dogimo said...

No, the biscotti is not organic actually...my sister's kid home-made them. Delicious! But I've been meaning to get on her case about getting that certification.

And the drink is a triple tall unsweet cappuccino with a shot of almond.

Mmmmm.