Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

It's the ACLU Van!

I was driving back from Los Angeles, when my eye was suddenly caught by a distinctive vehicle tearing towards me in the rear view mirror at a great rate of speed.

The ACLU Van!

I had never seen the ACLU Van. It was impressive. A brand-new white van with dark blue trim and those famous letters sharply-emblazoned in dark blue. As they came up behind me, it was clear they had a serious engine under that hood. They were closing the gap with alacrity!

I wondered what their urgent errand could be. Was this the ACLU Rapid-Response Unit? Or perhaps the super-secret "Enforcement Arm," masquerading undercover as the Rapid-Response Unit. There was no way to tell for sure. I only knew that somewhere, someone's civil liberties had been violated or were in serious danger of being violated, and these brave men and/or women were racing to the scene to set the wrong things right. I had someplace to get to myself, but as they swooped around and past me, I couldn't help what I was compelled to do. I wrenched into the lane after them, and tried to close the gap as best I could. This was important, this was history and I had to be in on it!

Then suddenly I noticed that it was in fact the UCLA Van.

What the heck do they need a van for?

4 comments:

dogimo said...

Yeah, but! That stuff lacks the same sense of urgency and lofty purpose. Except maybe #2.

Magna said...

The University of Hawaii should rent a U-Hula.

Sean Scully said...

It's like the day I was tearing along the George Washington Parkway in Virginia and a marked police cruiser, with lights and everything, went by me, causing me a shiver of fear (since I was going slightly over the posted limit. And by Slightly, I mean a lot). But then I noticed emblazoned on the side was "U.S. Postal Police." And I realized I was afraid for nothing. I mean, what was he going to do? Pull me over and write me a letter?

dogimo said...

That's pretty great, that's Steven Wright-worthy. And that's pretty high praise, coming from a big Steven Wright fan. Big enough to take the time and look his name up so I could spell it v instead of ph. Had it been Steven King, I might not have done that. No offense, Mr. King.