Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, August 04, 2006

Road Safety Corner #1: The Wrath of Tercel

What the hell was that about? Who does this guy think he is? I didn't cut him off. He was merging behind me...and pretty far behind, at that! There must have been six car lengths between us at fifty MPH. Comfort to spare. Clearly we're both getting off at this next exit. He can't just wait behind me? He's got to zoom around and cut in, in front of me? Just what does that accomplish! You're only one car up, bud! Was it worth it for the adrenaline surge? I mean, shoot, we're both getting off at this exit anyway. What difference does being one car up make? Except...the car in question, is ME.

Switching from one highway to another isn't going to help you here, pal. In fact, you couldn't have picked a worse ramp! Not only is the downslope in my favor acceleration-wise, but coming down from on high gives me just the vantage I need to make a thorough survey of all the angles and openings. I'll just let the gap open up a bit between us, give me the ramp-up room I need...there's not a car in the way...! This is going to be sweet! As we enter the highway together, I am already powering past ya in the passing lane. Sorry about your turn signal there, FRIEND. Too little, too late! I admit to a pang of conscience, but what, am I going to mess up my sweet move to be courteous to some big barging bully in an SUV?

You just felt The Wrath of Tercel.

A lot of people don't expect my crappy little silver hatchback to have the get up and go that it does. But when I'm sitting at the red light, mentally gunning my engine next to some unsuspecting fool in the next lane...I rarely come off second best. Note that I do not actually gun my engine. That would be a bit of a tipoff. Plus...come on, my little V3-and-a-half doesn't exactly roar out a challenge to all comers. It's all in how I uses it, though. The guy said when I bought the car new, it's all about how you break it in. And I've been pushing the envelope since day one! My Tercel came up hard on the mean traffic circles and intersections of New Jersey, jockeying for position in a no-man's land where the only Right of Way is Might of Way.

Plenty of cargo room with the back seat seat-back down. Windows all around, head on a swivel visibility - I'm too small and mobile a target to be hit! Zero-to-sixty in less than you'd think. Headlights blazing a path through the blur of night. Tires gripping the road like a jealous lover. Silver paint fading imperceptibly into the metal underneath. Four gears of scrappy determination, and they all say "Get Out The Way!" in the same high-pitched growl! Excellent gas mileage.

The 1990 Tercel Hatchback. They don't make them like this anymore.

No comments: