Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, August 12, 2006

That Look

I just noticed that every morning when I first wake up, and I swing out of bed and gamely leg my way over into the bathroom, and look up in the mirror, look myself in the eye, and then I kind of feel better about myself...what is the deal with that look that I'm giving myself? I kind of, make eye contact, then my eyes narrow a bit, my mouth sets somewhere between a frown and a pout, the whole expression as if to say "hey, man...get it together!" And then I think to myself, there's a guy with high standards, there's a guy who lets it be known what he thinks. Not bad-looking, neither.

I wish I could walk around all day giving everybody that look. Unfortunately, I find that it's a hard look to duplicate consciously. The best I can do is this face that makes it look like I'm about to cry because I can't take a shit. The effect isn't quite as effective.

1 comment:

blue said...

Hm. That last line put me off a little. But I was thinking how odd it was that you write this, because I've been trying to figure out how to ask someone about looks you catch in the mirror, specifically looks that please you. It's kind of weird. Sometimes I head to the bathroom and I've forgotten that I look halfway decent that day, and I'm surprised to see a human being in the mirror. So I have to stop and think "wow, I look human." Not hunan, though, even though I keep wanting to type that.