Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Am I Too Nice?

Do you think I'm too nice? Do I come across as being too nice, too inoffensive? Too sweet? Too even-handed and fair-minded on all issues? Too willing to forgive others? Does it seem sometimes as though I give short shrift to my inner belligerent dickwad? Perhaps it seems as though I lack an edge. Does this quality of too-niceness make me seem boring? Does it lull you into a sense of safety around me?

Some guys complain about that sort of thing. When people tell them they are too nice, too sweet, too good to others, they grow defensive and become hurt. Sometimes they may cry about it, later on, secretly at home. That seems weird to me. Personally I don't really mind too much, being perceived as too nice. It doesn't really bother me at all. In fact, I find that it can often be turned to my advantage. Decisively.

I'd give you some examples, but I don't want to brag. Not my style. But I tell you what...I am pretty nice, though!

5 comments:

Magna said...

You're just inviting insults, aren't you? As in "Dear insults, please come over to my house." Like that.

Or were you fishing for compliments?

dogimo said...

Oh, neither one. I just want people to think a little more closely about how nice I am. They don't have to say anything to me about it one way or the other, if they'd rather not!

They can just know it in their hearts.

blue said...

Too-niceness isn't boring, it's far too rare for that to be possible. No, I'm not right---sometimes it can be frustrating, because if someone's always nice you have to wonder what's wrong with them. Something sometime should arouse some anger, unless you're tranquilized. But properly-placed indignant anger can be "nice" also, so I don't know if that counts.

But from what I hear, on occasion you're a reprehensible dick. So don't worry about it.
;P

Sean Scully said...

Nice is overrated. That is part of a pre-9/11 worldview. Have nothing to do with it.

dogimo said...

>"Nice is overrated. That is part of a pre-9/11 worldview. Have nothing to do with it."

Wow...that comment...that comment would work great on any one of these blog entries! Just switch out the "nice" for something else. As appropriate.

NICE.