Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, September 02, 2006

A Few Notes About The Blog

I probably should have mentioned this before, but it seemed fairly obvious.

Because I'm pretty new at this blog business, I just look at a blog entry the same way I'd look at writing a song. Doing the right thing to make the song's point strongest is more important than making the song some sort of accurate portrait of my own personal feelings. Same thing with a blog. Or at least, with this blog. Most of the entries are meant less as autobiographical and more as unto themselves. Which includes things like grammar. If the voice that would say that message best would say it a little ungrammatically, then so be it. Comma splices...who even cares about comma splices? It's a non-issue. If I was writing a term paper, I'd leave out the comma splices. I'm not stupid. I'd also have put, "If I were writing a term paper." But I'm not! So get off my back!! Like I care about grammar. Grammar is for lesser fools than I to concern themselves with.

So anyway, all of these entries are intended as basically in-character dialogue. No, I don't mean "monologue," or "soliloquy." Those have different connotations. Me no like. But the main thing is, the character in question might not necessarily represent me or my views per se. Because, who wants to read about that? My views are unfunny and uninteresting. My views are the simple pinnacle of what sense and reason have to offer, as far as views go. And that ends up being pretty damn boring stuff, blog-wise. Believe me, you don't want to read about my views.

So I thought I'd just put that out there. As a little disclaimer. Of course, the voice might be just plain old me (if that's what's called for). But you usually can tell those ones right off.

1 comment:

Magna said...

"My views are the simple pinnacle of what sense and reason have to offer...."

I think I'll appropriate this observation for use elsewhere.