Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, October 21, 2006

On Poetry

DAMN IT!

The local entertainment weekly where I live did a cover story on some poets who were riding around in a bus writing poems, or perhaps reciting poems they had already written, and the story printed some of their gems...which...they're fine, I guess, but my poems are better than these!

I'm not saying my poems are any good. I like them. I think poetry these days can't be too choosy about being any good. Poetry shot itself in the foot a little bit, where being any good is concerned. But it can still be liked.

I think I'll start sort of a sister-blog to this one, to put the spotlight firmly on my poems. Mainly because, I don't really want them in here. Not as a main feature. Maybe one every now and then.

It kind of makes me wonder, though. Whatever happened to poetry? Some poetry used to be great! It's as though once poets lost all anxiety about observing any structural formalities, people in general took a look at the result and realized that it was only just a bunch of words at that point.

The preceding post was not a poem. Just to be absolutely clear on that.

4 comments:

Cassie said...

I'm still waiting for you to publish. And dedicate it to me, since it was my idea. Don't wait 'til you have tons of poems, start with a small book of like 25 or 30. You can do that now, right?

dogimo said...

That raises a very good point...I can't just put all my good stuff out there online and still expect to publish it in a book someday. Because, who wants all that free milk if it means giving up steak, and leather?

I'll have to put a bit more thought into it. Thanks for pointing that out, cassie!

dogimo said...

>And dedicate it to me, since it was my idea.
Hey wait a minute though...I appreciate the encouragement, but...I'd have to admit I'd thought of that already. That's not to gyp you out of any prospective dedication!

That would be an entirely separate matter.

Magna said...

I suggest that you don a pair of velvet breeches and write with a quill pen. As for the actual poems, you can alternate between limericks and verses that begin "Roses are red, violets are blue...." Like that.