Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, October 05, 2006

What's My Name?

As I've said, it's Joe. Not a bad name as names go. But I've never been too jazzed about it. I was trying to think up another name that I'd like better and of course, when you put yourself on the spot like that, you always come up blank. Or else, come up with something stupid. Like at the restaurant the other night, my date and I were discussing some person who'd been hauled in by the cops for something or other. They'd taken an alias to hide under but it didn't pan out.

I forget what name they chose, but it was something dumb-funny. So I asked my date, "well, if you had to cut and run, restart your life in some far-flung town under an assumed name...what name would you choose?" She asked me right back, of course, and so it ended up that if it came down to it, I would be Maximilian Verbosa. She would be Johanna Squires.

It was also decided that I would be to be addressed as "Maximilian" at all times - no shortened version. Whereas she would be "Hanna," to her assumed friends.

It's good to have these things worked out in advance.

2 comments:

blue said...

Ohhhh. Now I see what you mean. That IS weird. I hope it's not indicative of some cosmic thing.
Maximilian Verbosa? Are you, like, in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?
p.s. I think you can call your "date" a she. ;P

My sister had a friend named Johanna when she was little. They filled the bathroom with bubbles once. Johanna had long blond hair, and later (when I was about 7) I felt she resembled Carrie (from the movie; that was around the first time I saw it) and although Johanna was no longer around by then, the song "Rosanna" reminded me of her, which reminded me of Carrie, which scared me. So I had a circuitously weird apprehension about the song Rosanna. It still makes me feel a little weird, especially during the "she's the kinda girl/makes you feel nice" part. Wait a minute. That IS the song "Joanna," not the song "Rosanna." Okay, "Joanna" was the song that freaked me out. But "Rosanna" made me want to sing the name Johanna in place of Rosanna. And several Toto songs did make me rather anxious, that being one of them.

dogimo said...

I called my "date" a she like three times! Whatchoo implying about, woman?

I think you'll find that everything is indicative of some cosmic thing. Unfortunately.

I think you should post that last paragraph as a worthy standalone on your own blog. Don't even tweak an apostrophe!