Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A bird lies dead.

A bird lies dead
in the first frost of late autumn.
A dead sparrow, I think.
Something small, brownish,
dead at any rate. One
of the birds that hop,
not walk.

I think of the birds
that you see, turning as one
in numberless flocks, wheeling
and contracting - individual birds
beating wings so hard, you picture
tiny looks of concentration
on each birds' face.
The whole flock
appears at once, rushing up
into the air in one great shape,
as if at some sudden
invisible call.

Was it the cold
that stopped its puny heart?
Or did the cold come after -
drawing a cold blanket over.
Frost feathers frozen windows,
and no two snowflakes are alike
they say; nor any two feathers
on this little dude.
Poor guy. His head lies cocked,
as if listening.
I think that he died
waiting

waiting
for the call to take off.

5 comments:

Cassie said...

Oh man! Now I'm all choked up!

Sparrows are my favorite birds.

dogimo said...

Don't say that if you don't mean it!

I know you to be no ornithophile.

Cassie said...

I'm not fond of huge, militant flocks of crows. But have you ever studied sparrows? They are actually quite beautiful -- delicate combinations of colors, sweet personalities, very intelligent. I mean it -- I've loved sparrows for years.

dogimo said...

I love sparrows.

I'm not sure they're my favorite bird. That might be a goldfinch. But I do love sparrows.

You'll be relieved to know that the actual bird in the poem was not dead! Which is to say, he was invented. No bird was harmed.

dogimo said...

Long after posting the previous comment it occured to me that the poem is based on a remembered bird from years ago who, alas, didn't in fact make it. So "invented" is not entirely true. "Recalled" more like.

But then, surely all of his nestmates have also passed on by now as well!

The way of things.