Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Certain Words Are Extra Hurtful

subtitled, "...If You're A Moron!"

Profanities and slurs are the resort of idiots who wish they were smart enough to hurt your feelings using real words. But they're not smart enough. So why are you giving them a free pass?

We're all perfectly aware that every single "bad word" has a number of polite synonyms, words that refer to the exact same thing, yet are somehow acceptable to use...because they use a different group of sounds to refer to the exact same thing.

If you're a parent, why are you teaching your kids to perpetuate this nonsense? "Listen kids, if anyone uses this special bad word on you, that means you have to get really upset...because it's a BAD WORD." Why not a more positive message? "Listen kids, you shouldn't use that word, because there are a lot of morons who think that it's a special 'bad word,' with special powers to upset them. You know that it's just a group of sounds like any other word! But you still shouldn't use it, because it isn't very nice to be mean to the morons who don't know any better."

If you yourself are offended by profanity, then you are a fool. You deliberately and knowingly hand the whole world a magic button: "Just press this button to piss me off! Take advantage of my weakness, world! All you have to do is say one of these BAD WORDS, and I will get upset! You don't even have to trouble to put any thought into it!" Next time someone "upsets" you with profanity, take a moment to remember that it's your stupid fault, not theirs. You have the stupidity to invest a cluster of harmless consonants and vowels with special hurtful power. All they're doing is taking advantage of that power, that you freely give them.

Profanity. Sheesh. Don't be so weak-minded. Don't be such a sheep. Don't give people power over you that you don't want them to have! And if somebody wants to insult you...at least make them work for it just a little. Don't hand them a free pass and then blame them for using it.

Note that the above post contains no bad words, yet it still manages to be pretty damn insulting.

Whoops. Sorry! Slipped out.

4 comments:

Cassie said...

I knew a woman who got insulted when I said "bless you" when she sneezed. She said I was trying to "foist my religion" onto her. Wonder what she'd have said if I'd used my dad's favorite epithet. Yes, the "f" word. My dad could never breaking himself of saying "frog hair". As in "what the frog hair do you think you're doing?"

Forgive me for using that word in a public place. I'm still a lady, really.

dogimo said...

I love when they get creative dubbing over curses in televised movies. From Out of Sight:

Snoop: "Situation like this, there's a high potentiality for the common monkeyfeather to back out."

That is like...8 million percent more outstanding than the original line. Which was fine, just not stellar like the new one is.

I also remember some good ones from Dangerous Ground, but those were all made great by Ice Cube's delivery of such lines as "Bull-stuff!" and "I ain't no hot-damn fool!"

Interesting. I only just realized, they dubbed over God and left damn intact.

Cassie said...

That's because with the "God" in it, it's profane. Without it, it's just rude.

dogimo said...

Ironic that "God" makes it profane!

Ironic but still kind of neat. I enjoy the ways that the sacred and the profane interact with the mundane, and what we can say about it. And what it says about us.

It's all pretty cool stuff, I think. Fruit for the mind to chew on.

Um. "Ew", though, on that last sentence.