Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Confessions From When I Was Dumb

When I was a kid, I thought "Heartache Tonight" was the best song by the Eagles. But now, thinking about it, was I so far wrong? Come on! "you can beat around the bush or you can get down to the bone or you can leave it in the parking lot but either way there's gonna be a..."

I remember standing in the back yard on the concrete by the stoop, trying to bounce a basketball and clap to that same beat. I ended up having to make the ball bounce be the clap, and my hand-clap be the bass kick. It's impossible to do the double-bounce quickly enough to match that double-thump.

It was a good song when you were an 8-year old, with a lot of experience at heartache. But you know, I tbink it may have contributed a bit towards my essentially pessemistic view of love. I tend to go into pretty much every night saying to myself, "somebody's going to hurt someone. Before the night is through." Even if I'm just sitting home. I still kind of expect there to be...a heartache tonight.

The moon's shining bright. So turn out the light.

2 comments:

blue said...

I wanted to post some pithy reply utilizing some other Eagles song here, but every time I try to think which to use, I get too emotional and nostalgic about them to construct anything appropriately flip and fly.

I considered sympathizing from the cheatin' side of town, mentioning how frustrating it was not to be able to wear sparkling earrings or have skin so brown, or how the heartache was clearly always especially tough for that Johnny-come-lately new kid in town.

"Tbink" is cute. Find the tbink! ;)

dogimo said...

This confused me for the longest. I thought you were alluding to a hidden reference, within your comment, to an obscure (but cute) Eagles song called "Tbink"!

Annnnnd now I gotcha.