Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

How Do They Do It?

You know those comments that pop on within the same minute you update your post? It's always some kind of comment "spam," basically - they tell you how great your blog is, and click here for free money, blah blah. I'm not interested in all that per se. What I want to know is: how do they do it? How do they get their mass-produced form-letter comment to post out into the wide world, onto all those blogs just as they update?

I'm sure it's pretty simple. I'm computer-savvy in a lot of little ways. I'm guessing these people probably use some sort of computer program. It would identify all the blogs that have just been updated, by looking at the list of "blogs just updated" that scrolls up the main page. Then it would just log over to each blog and post the same comment on each. All in an attempt to drum up business for their vile scam!

Now, I don't have any scam to run...but I thought, "such a system could also be utilized for the good of all! To create a publicity bonanza, when employed properly for the innocent purpose of promoting my 100% legitimate blog!"

I would send out the same comment to everybody as they update: "Interesting post! Hi, I read your blog and it sucks. That made me think you might be interested in other blogs that suck. My blog which, if anything, sucks worse, would be of crucial interest in such a scenario. Come by and check it out, you might read something." Then people would read the comment be all, "hey, that's one of those scams I bet."

But they'd be wrong about that!

No comments: