Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Night We Drove Ol' Dixie Down

Did you ever notice that the North has no Civil War nostalgia songs?

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any. Certainly nothing to the extent that the South has. I wonder about that. Both sides did a whole bunch of fighting and dying and stuff. Plenty of red badges of courage to go around. Yet by and large, only the South seems to have developed a morbid tradition of looking at the whole thing in this romanticized way. And they lost! What the hell. If I was the South, I'd give it a rest already.

No offense, but seriously: anyone injured in the conflict has been dead for some time. Give it a rest. And this whole "one day, the South will rise again" bit...what!?! You mean after all of this time...has not the South already "risen again" by now? Because if not...if the South can't "rise" within a United States context, after more than 7 generations come and gone...then son, they just need to admit they don't ever deserve to rise up anywhere for anything. Ever.

I mean, I've been to the South. Looked to me like their shit was up and running, strong. Leastways, no less so than the North. What they need to do now is act like they know that.

Hell - look at Germany. They and the whole world knew they were on the wrong side of that fight. They don't try to turn it into some kind of tragic virtue after the fact! Not that I'm comparing Nazis to slavemasters. I would be pretty hard pressed to do that concept justice.

Ahhhh. Another series of minefields successfully negotiated!

2 comments:

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dogimo said...

Songs about why the South is better form no part of my point. "Sweet Home Alabama" and its ilk - any and all songs extolling the virtues of regional pride are music to my ears! Literally.

Usually literally.

In general, the message of a song like that is like "boo ya, in your face, we kick ass." As opposed to "boo hoo, you kicked our ass, we'll rise again and get you next time you Yankee bastards!"

Which is kind of silly at this point. This is not the Balkans.