Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Valentine Poetry Contest - Status Update

I couldn't hack it! I just wasn't able.

Oh, I sent in a poem. But I just don't like its chances. It's a bit too...eldritch...in its depiction of love.

The problem was, I started out of the gate going great guns, poem after poem...but they all were more making fun of the idea than anything else. You're not going to win the prize with that!

Then a bunch of f'd up stuff happened, including a friend of mine getting badly burned in a kitchen accident and I had to take him to the hospital, plus my girlfriend was out of town. In short, I was short on romantic inspiration of the type needed to write a prize-winning Valentine's Day poem.

Finally I realized it was the day of the deadline. Still feeling uninspired, I combed through some recent doodles and found one that, if not quite the right tone, at least took the idea seriously. By then it was too late to mail it, and I'd left the copy of the paper at home (I was at work). So I looked up their website and...needless to say, it was not well-maintained. But I was able to dig up the article on the Valentine's Day Poetry Contest 2004, and I just sent it in to the address listed there: info@_____-_____.com

Now I find out that 1) the deadline was for noon on the 7th (I sent it in at 2pm), and 2) the e-mail address for this year's contest was editorial@, not info@.

I bet they don't even give my poem a chance. It's a shame. It's a good poem.

No comments: