Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, April 21, 2007

NEIL TENNANT.

I tell you: I am totally sweating this Neil Tennant solo album. I hope he just goes ahead and calls it: NEIL TENNANT. All caps! He's earned it.

No exclamation point, though. That's gauche.

A lot of people will tell you he's got a weak voice. Well to them I say: try singing one of his songs. Try singing "London" from the album Release. Try to belt that one out. And while you're at it, record your best effort so you can play it back against his rendition in comparison. Which one sounds better? I'll tell you which one: NEIL TENNANT's.

Tennant's voice is what I would call "deceptively weak." It sounds a bit thin, true, but what people don't realize is the sheer level of vocal chops it takes for him to get his voice to sound that way. His voice can project hurt, reserve, elegance, wounded pride, scathing wit or tentative joy - but whatever feeling it carries is carried with a certain vulnerability, essential to bringing that song home. In fact his so-called "weak" vocal style is the key to the success of the song. I don't care whether you've got the pipes of Aretha Franklin or Mario Lanza - you can't sing these songs any better than Neil sings them.

I'm so looking forward to this Neil Tennant solo album. I hope it's got Chris Lowe on it someplace.

No comments: