Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, May 19, 2007

I Am No Sham Patriot

When my eyes catch sight of that same flag our forebears made mighty by wrapping it up in rhetoric and symbolism, until people would look up at it with lumps in throats, saying, "God! This flag's for you," and dabbing dew with handkerchiefs from corners of misting eyes, my whole entire emotion rises up as one and salutes.

I find my thoughts flung back down across the long descending staircase of centuries, to the very beginnings of the foundings of this our nation, to that gleaming time when ruddy patriots roused rabble lustily up amongst each other and flung back tyrants by dint of arms and main strength. Who now dares to shirk that awesome burden of heritage?

Not me.

And if anybody thinks I'm kidding about that, how 'bout you come over my house and start a war? We'll see whose flag you end up getting sent home wrapped up in!

YOURS.

(Please bring one with you, if you're coming over.)

No comments: