Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, June 21, 2007

How Do Dogs Just Automatically Know How to Have Sex?

They just seem to know how. They just get right down to it. I was over at a friend's house a couple years ago, he had a poodle - a pretty good-sized poodle. A friend of his had brought over this tiny brown and white puppy, might have been a beagle or something. We were all out in the back yard, some burgers were grilling, and they were talking about getting him fixed - talking about scheduling a trip to the vet. His owner said, "it's still a little too early, but pretty soon." Next thing you know, bam. He's up on the poodle! Going for it. Voop! Over and done. He's happy! Look at that tongue wagging around. The poodle seemed a bit blasé about the whole thing.

But I guess that really, when you view it without all the trappings and impediments, it is pretty straightforward. The real question isn't "how do dogs just automatically know?" but "why, out of every big and little being in the animal kingdom, why are humans the only ones who need to have this explained to them?" Why the big bit about bees and birds, metaphors and euphemisms? Why the secrecy beforehand and the mystification after?

I am not saying that we should abolish sex education. Make no mistake: I am a big, radical advocate of sex education. I believe that sex education should begin at the moment of conception. At that point, they know more about it then you and I will ever learn!

But it just seems weird that we're the only species that seems to need instruction on this - or at least, we act like we do. And I for one, am a little insulted by the implication.

I'd like to think I could have figured it out for myself.

2 comments:

blue said...

What? Human beings do automatically know how to have sex. They just also have to deal with its repercussions in ways most other animals don't, or don't realize they should. We also have a different sort of consciousness about it.

The animal instincts are all there, built in. We just need to learn about the parts of it that are distinctly human.

dogimo said...

Yeah, well that's what I'm saying. Clearly all animals know. Yet people seem to think it's something that needs a lot of explaining or something, to people.

Note that by all animals I mean to include humans!

So I was kind of...half-assedly perhaps...trying to point up the ridiculousness of the attitude with this sort of jejune...jejune...

'Jejune' always stops me cold, somehow.