Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Preview Reviews #3 (le troisieme): Paris, je t'aime

I just saw a preview for this in front of Waitress. Then I looked it up on IMDb to see when it's coming out - it says it came out already! In June 2006?

I didn't realize they were still doing that long, slow, delayed rollout thing. Maybe it's just for "independent" films.

Anyway, this looks like one of those jobs with fifty lead roles and twenty directors each handling snippet-stories that get mashed together to form a film on a theme, in this case, falling in love in Paris. About the last guy you see in the preview is Elijah Wood. Can I ask you folks something about Elijah Wood? Apart from that look of shocked and dismayed fascination that he does so well, and apart from his knack for playing entire scenes (or indeed, films) looking as though he has something else, something very compelling on his mind - does this guy have any other tricks?

I'm not disparaging those tricks. Those are two very good tricks! Especially when called for in the story. They can play very effectively. But he worked them so hard in Frodo Goes East that the net effect now is that no matter what role he's playing, that look will pass across his face and the audience will immediately think "Ah yes, the Ring of Power. He will never completely be free of it."

I'm also pissed because if they showed Emily Mortimer in the preview, I missed it! Yet the imdb listing says she's in there. And that means I'm probably going to have to see this mess, because jeez! Emily Mortimer. At some point I seem to have fallen completely in love with her*. I don't even know what it is, because from an objective standpoint, it's not like she's all that much of a smokin' hot babe**. But for me, you know what guys? For me it isn't really dependent on just looks, so much. The connection has to be more on an emotional or spiritual level for it to click. Which is not to say that as a fan I can't observe that she could stand to put on a few extra ozzes and libs, but really, I would never say that out loud because that's HER business.

*In a very healthily detached I-know-very-well-I'm-only-the-audience way, of course.

**oh yes she is.

No comments: