Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Repeal the Helmet Law Pt.3

The other strange thing is, I can't seem to find any reference to there being any so-called "helmet law" requiring me to wear a helmet while bicycling. There's a state law that applies to those under 18, but nothing for adults. This underscores the insidiousness of the movement: they've got us thinking they've won already, when the battle is far from over!

I decided to do some research.

Here's a pretty interesting site I found, with some well-argued points of their own: helmets.org. But then they point you to these folks, at cyclehelmets.org - who sing a pointedly different tune. And then over on helmet.com we have a third viewpoint. Look at that dude! Seemingly oblivious to the controversy, but he seems pretty happy with his helmet. A powerful case made subtly, in its own right.

Anyway, in response to these new revelations, that is, in response to the recently-disclosed fact that there is in fact currently no law that compels me to wear a helmet while bicycling, I am prepared to conditionally reverse my stance on the motorcycle helmet situation. Provided that pro-bicycle helmet activists do not double-cross me with this bullshit of making it mandatory for me! I won't stand for that! I will reverse my stance right back, so help me! Faster than you can say jackrabbit.

Making something compulsory is not "educating the public."

2 comments:

Magna said...

So, what you're saying is that you want something repealed that's not a law?

dogimo said...

This is Pt.3 of a series. The initial installment called for a repeal of the mandatory helmet requirement for motorcyclists. This is the original "helmet law" being targeted in the title of the initial post and its sequels.

In this 3rd installment, I conditionally reverse my stance against the motorcycle helmet requirement, contingent upon pro bicycle-helmet activists not encroaching further upon our skull-based freedoms.