Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, July 20, 2007

Road Safety Corner #5: Go Bus Go!

So I'm driving South on 17, and the traffic's pretty heavy since Eddie Money's playing at the Boardwalk for free (isn't that ironic?), and last year when he did that it caused 10,000 people to show up. Which is a bit beyond capacity, frankly.

Anyhow, all of a sudden as I'm powering forward in the passing lane with a good dozen car lengths clear ahead of me, here comes this BUS! A big ol' public transit bus, and he's cutting in front of me! Not like he cut me off, but come on! He's a bus. Who's he gonna pass, right?

WRONG. This cat starts laying it down out there. Within a minute, I'm passing all these cars with this bus in front of me, and I'm looking at my speedometer, and this bus is doing better than SEVENTY MILES PER HOUR. And who are these cars, that are getting passed by a bus on the highway? I guess they were determined to go 65 and the bus got sick of it, unbeknownst to me. I just blundered into a pre-existing situation.

So this bus is just plowing down the road, and neatly maneuvering, too! Gets back into the right-hand lane, and starts passing dudes on the right! Whoa, bus! Keanu Reeves better be on board at this point!

But really, he was driving expertly* and wasn't in any way being unsafe, not really. I was very impressed because when he first pulled in front, I was telling him off LOUDLY. "Oh, NICE MOVE, bus! What an ASSHOLE! I never saw such a..." hey wait, you're kind of hauling ass here, I need to catch up a bit before I continue berating!

Never had cause to.

No comments: