Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Talkin' Sweet #5: Just This One Thing, Baby, Is All I Ask

Baby, I am in love with you. But baby, I have been a man far longer than I have been in love with you. And I am still only just learning how to love you. The habits that I had before were formed in a world without you. You have changed the shape of my world. Each day for me is like a new awakening, as I discover anew the reborn contours of a world with you in it.

You have changed the shape of my world, just with your blessed presence here beside me, radiating out affecting every thing we touch together and every place we go. The words you have spoken to me have spun the tumblers of the combination lock that guards my heart - you have sprung the door to that safe wide open and taken what is yours, what now belongs to you: my heart, the treasure of all I have to offer you.

But joyful as I am, in this release you have given me - I am also scared. My armor is gone, my protections gone. My heart is free, but it is no longer safe, it is vulnerable. You have me in your keeping, and though I trust you...I am a man for whom trust has come hard in this life.

Just this one thing, baby, is all I ask: give me some time, some understanding, some forgiveness; be lenient with me as I feel my way up to this new level that you have brought me to see. I thought I was grown; I thought I had no more lessons to learn, but you have opened my eyes. You have taught me that there is more to life than what I thought, yet bad habits die hard - all I ask, baby, is to please be patient with me as I struggle to shrug off these dark garments of the past...and let my eyes adjust to your light.

No comments: