Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, August 26, 2007

I Lost a Very Creative Day

I lost a very creative day, yesterday. I could have easily written three songs. I even know which three songs I could have easily written, and they would have been awesome! And now? Now, who knows when I will be able to recapture that vibe. I could force it, I guess. But if I force it, will not the end result suffer? Suffice it to say that maybe it would. Hard to tell. I mean, I do a good job regardless. But creativity is one of those ephermal forces...timing is so important. It comes and goes, and shapes one's muse in mysterious ways. Who can say what its capriciousness ultimately betokens, in terms of whether a song written one day might shine versus when written another day, it might turn out more poorly? I like to strike while the iron is hot, myself. But alas, sometimes that luxury is not mine to choose.

So what happened, why did I "lose" my creative day?

Work.

I had to go in to work, on a Saturday. And the work I had to do was by no means creative. It was a ton of detail-intensive proofing of documents and stuff. I looked ahead to the coming week, and saw I wasn't going to make it unless I came in and laid some groundwork, cleared the tracks, pre-soaked the grits a spell so to speak. So I came in, and I got it done. And I don't begrudge that! I love my job. I'm proud of the job I do. I do a damn JOB of it. Nobody's irreplaceable as they say, but probably I am. Moreso than most, at least. In any event, most days I love my job.

Yesterday I didn't love my job. I wish I'd found some way to make better use of my time.

No comments: