Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Crowded House, Mountain Winery, Pt.2

No good! The previous post was NO GOOD. It wasn't a review of the show at all! It was more like, a review of the band at this stage in their career, based on the evidence of the show. It didn't really give a good picture of the show itself. What was the SHOW like? How did it make me FEEL?

So I'll do another one.

First off, set the scene. I'm driving North along the winding and treacherous Highway 17 (one of the most dangerous roads in the state, in terms of accidents and fatalities), heading to Saratoga. We're doing pretty good on time. It's about 6:15, the show starts at 7:30, we're only about 30 minutes from the venue and my 1990 Toyota Tercel (my "sweet ride") is powering through the traffic pockets and lane changes as we come up on Big Moody Curve. It's a great drive so f-

BLOWOUT!! Right front tire!

With the steering wheel tight in my keen grip of command, I seize the careen and gun it between a three car-length gap through the right lane into a miniscule turnout (my only chance to get out of harm's way on this shoulderless stretch!), sliding to a white-knuckle stop missing the concrete sidewall by inches, jumping out of the car whipping out the jack in one hand and the and tire iron in the other, hoisting the front end getting the lug nuts and the ruined tire off slapping on the donut and tightening it down spinning the jack-winch lowering the front end back to terra firma giving the donut a kick for good measure (firm!) and slipping back into the driver's seat...all in one smooth motion.

Well okay, but I did have that thing changed in less than 8 minutes flat. In a pretty tight space!

Then, OFF!! Seamless merge into high-speed traffic, powering off again (albeit, taking care to keep it under 60 not wanting to overtax the

DONUT!!

Maybe I should have kept it under fifty.

A sudden list to the right followed by an appalling noise gave me to know that my trusty donut had given out. Now what would I do...? How would we make it to the show?

...And not a turnout in sight!...

~ TO BE CONTINUED ~

No comments: