Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I Like Equals.

As far as math signs go, Equals is the best. Better than Greater Than. Better than Less Than. Better than Plus and way better than Times! Times stinks. It's just an X! Or, in the new math, it's an asterisk. Either way, pret-ty weak!

Minus is cool, it's true. I give Minus its props. But Equals is like, MINUS TIMES TWO! Double your pleasure! One Minus right on top of the other. Two negatives do make an Equals! - which, if not precisely a positive, is certainly at least a neutral.

It's the most impartial of math signs. Equals tells it like it is. Equals isn't trying to cut you down or pump you up. You can trust Equals to give you the straight scoop on where things really stand, assuming you did your math correctly. And if you didn't, that's no fault of Equals!

I must admit, Divided By is a pretty sweet sign. I love it - that horizontal dash with a dot hovering both above and beneath! It's got some kind of eerie U.F.O. vibe going - a very sweet design indeed. But it loses points for not even being on the keyboard anymore. They seem to want you to use the forward slash instead, which has just zero style. Gross!

Frankly, that "Square Root" sign is just gay.

Yes sir, there's just no sign that compares to Equals. Make mine Equals! If A equals B, and B equals C, then Equals equals Equals. Equals is exactly where it's at.

It's starting to look a little weird, though. As a typed word. Equals.

=

2 comments:

Sean Scully said...

I am very fond of the "Greater than or equal to" and "Less than or equal to" signs, which look sorta like this:

>
-

And

<
-

What other sign has so much meaning packed into so few pen strokes?

dogimo said...

Yes, those are cool, but as you can see they're definitely piggybacking on the mystique of Equals.

But you know which math sign shocks me cold and stops me with a jolt every time? NOT EQUALS. That's a real stopper, for me. When I see the Not Equals busting out all big and bold, I'm all like, "so what choo sayin' then?"