Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Moment For Sexism.

On the way out of the show last night, as the packed crowd filed into the aisles and up and out towards the exits, 3 or 4 couples upstream from us there was some hot girl-on-girl handholding action, capped off with an emphatic denim butt-slap! I was like, "yeah! Nice to see. Demonstrate your affection to each other unselfconsciously, heedless of bigotry and stigma! You girls have the right idea. Sexuality and affection - a beautiful thing!"

I didn't actually say that out loud, but that's an accurate (if edited) transcript of what I was thinking.

Then the girl on the right, the one with the less-nice ass (the one who had done the slapping) turned her head to look back over her shoulder and DAMMIT! It was a dude! That made the whole thing turn suddenly unseemly! This sexist pig, slapping his girl's round ass for all to see as if it were some OBJECT - it really made my craw crawl! I felt so defiled. Get a haircut, dude!

I'm a big-time feminist on the rise, and I have no patience whatsoever for benighted attitudes.

Anyway, I didn't start any beef or anything, but I gave him a look that spoke volumes - and on the rest of the way out, I didn't even look at his ass once.

No comments: