Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Open Dream Journal #13: Why Natalie Portman? (No Offense, Natalie Portman)

I had a weird dream. Natalie Portman was in it. We were fresh acquaintances, just hanging out in this brightly-lit (it was daytime) low-key club or bar & grill that looked like somebody's big kitchen. It was a clean place, but kind of podunk, albeit with a cool jukebox. She was just hanging on my every word for some reason. It was disconcerting. She kept gazing into my eyes like a staring contest, yet she retained an unforced but teasing sort of aloofness; laughing easily, being jokingly dismissive. Yet talking animatedly, with a certain passion and urgency. You know. Like you do when you're really hitting it off. We talked for hours about music, the world, beliefs in general. She was vibing the hell out of me! And part-way through I found myself saying, "wow, I think I could actually fall for this girl."

Which, when I woke up - NGAAAHHH!! Natalie Portman? First, she's twelve! Second, she's not particularly, I have nothing against her but...okay, I will say this, she has pretty eyes. I hadn't really noticed that so much, prior.

But thirdly, after I woke up, it made me feel like I'm an easy mark for anyone who pays enough attention to me and has pretty eyes. Not a pleasant thought to have about one's self!

Anyway, it was one of those weird dreams where I'm definitely me (myself), but the circumstances of my life were utterly changed around - even though I wasn't necessarily thinking of it in those terms because in the dream it was just natural, taken for granted. For instance, I wasn't living in California, though I'm not sure what State we were in. And it goes without saying that I wasn't attached to my current girlfriend (I wouldn't be giving Natalie Portman all this false hope otherwise!)! I know that for a fact, because at one point she (my current gf) came into the place with her cat Frank on a long, blue leash. And she didn't seem at all chagrined to bump into me and Natalie Portman, hanging all over me.

I couldn't tell from the dream whether in the dream my girlfriend and I knew each other. I'm sure in the dream I knew, one way or the other! But I don't remember now, and I can't tell from how we acted. But she did let me hold Frank's leash!

Frank was very well-behaved on that leash while she was walking him, but once she stopped to place her order at the counter he started climbing up the walls - literally. He was impossibly good at climbing those faux-wood panelling walls! He got like five feet up the wall and was walking around! At his size!

Now I'm not completely sure that it was Natalie Portman. Because, I feel like there's another one who I get confused with her. But wait, no, yeah - it was definitely Natalie Portman! Because that's how I introduced her to one of my dream-friends at the place (who, I have no idea who he was in real life). I'm sure if it hadn't been Natalie Portman, and I'd introduced her as "Natalie Portman", she'd have clocked me in the jaw! But apologized immediately, because...she seemed pretty emotionally invested by that point. And we'd only recently met, so how could she fault me?

So. Weirdly enough, even though in the dream she was definitely Natalie Portman, nobody was treating her weird or special. My friend, after being introduced, said "Natalie Portman? Cool." and then kind of started talking about something else for a minute, then left.

We were kind of on our own little island.

No comments: