Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Mother Of Pearl

I'm pretty proud of myself on this one. Someone in my office was showing me the glass beads she's begun making (having taken it up as a hobby), and one of them had a certain pattern on it that made me go: "Ooo! If you can do that, you should make a bead that looks like mother-of-pearl.

Then another person in the office asked, "what's mother of pearl?" And as a thoughtful look crossed my face, I reeled off this monstrosity in one go:

"It's the glossy, lustrous, often iridescent patina that coats the inside of a seashell. For shellfish that make pearls, the secretions accrete around irritants, encasing them in a hard coating that won't chafe the sensitive flesh of the mollusk."

There was a moment of silence, and then everyone dissolved into hoots of derision, repeating choice portions giddily in high-pitched British accents. What can I say, I deserved it, but I still say that's a pretty sweet off-hand definition!

No comments: