Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, October 07, 2007

My Egg Basil Two-Tomatoes Scramble!

I've been perfecting the proportions on this very simple scramble recipe. I made it for myself yesterday and then again today. It's delicious and easy!

I have the ingredient amounts figured for a two-egg scramble, but if you prefer a three-egg scramble you can get the proportions right by first dividing by two and then multiplying by however many eggs you want in there. Then you're set, no matter how many-an-egg scramble you like! Also handy if you're cooking for two. In that case you might want to play it safe with a five-egg scramble.

How big is your pan, though? You may need a bigger pan to pull that off well. Surface area. An oft-neglected key!

Personally, with all the bold flavor, I find a 2-egg scramble perfect on this. I had a 2-egger yesterday, and a 3-egger today. The 2-egger made for a nice, light breakfast, but definitely satisfying and perfect. It left me ready to face the day! Whereas the 3-egg version left me saying "MAN, that was good. I wanna go lie down for a while and happily digest."

Which can also be good. Hey, it's Sunday!

So for recipe purposes, I'm putting the 2-egg version but like I said, feel free to scale up or down via my simple math trick as outlined above.

My Egg Basil Two-Tomatoes Scramble

2 eggs

some liquid - now some use water, some use milk, when making scrambled eggs. I use 2% milk. Just add the amount that's right.

2 big basil leaves, cut up (not cut up fine - you want some nice big pieces. Maybe four fourth-sized pieces per big basil leaf).

4 cherry tomatoes, halved (try to get ones that are longish not perfectly round, and then halve them in the middle, not longwise. The ones I got refer to themselves as "sugar plum grape tomatoes" which sounds disgusting and ridiculous. But they're lovely, so it's not their fault what they're called!)

5 sun dried tomatoes (the kind marinated in olive oil and herbs), chopped up coarse.

2 very jolly cracker's-worth portions of soft havarti cheese (about the size of one of those big pink erasers! No, bigger. A little bigger than that, each portion)

dill, a slightly indecent amount.

salt & pepper (to taste)

That's it. Combine eggs with other ingredients in a mixing bowl, stir vigorously with a fork, and pour the well-mixed mixture unto a heated, buttered saucepan. And, you know, scramble yourself some damn eggs.

I think you hardly need me to tell you how that part works!

No comments: