Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Beatles: a Reconsideration

So I went to the Bagelry in Soquel - yes, the Bagelry, a treasured Santa Cruz institution since 1977, now with three locations to serve you (down from four, I think?) - to pick up a couple bagels for a quick brekkie, and the girl behind the counter was wearing a Beatles t-shirt.

It was an appealing shade of classic brown, with a large oval like a window showcasing The Beatles and the words "THE BEATLES" 'blazoned across the top of the design. The Beatles took on a sort of a cartoon form, but not the Yellow Submarine version. They were posed looking stately, dignified and whimsical, as befits their unique legacy in the annals of rock.

This was a great-looking shirt. Never before would I have considered the idea of owning a The Beatles t-shirt, but this was one fine-looking garment. It cost me a considerable effort not to keep staring at it as I gave out my very detailed order, but I had to make that effort because among other things, the shirt was pretty tight and there might have been some doubt in the young lady's mind as to what the real attraction was.

A doubt with ample underlying basis, I must admit! But then, she was the one who knowingly chose that particular shirt. She knew how tight it was. Still, as a bonafide feminist I have no patience with such "her fault" arguments!

Now previously, I have mused to the effect that even with full respect and regard for their bounteous musical gifts, I've always enjoyed The Beatles more as actors than as musicians. But today, I am forced to reevaluate. I find myself having to reconsider them in light of all their manifold aspects, and say that overall I find them most appealing as a t-shirt.

Wow, what a great-looking t-shirt that was!

I wish I could have gotten a better look at it.

No comments: