Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Books I Just Got

The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw and Never Will See in The New Yorker - edited by Matthew Diffee. I heard about this one. Glad my eye chanced upon it.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Having seen The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I jumped at the chance to thrill to the original adventures of Dorian Gray - the amoral two-fisted indestructible scourge of Victorian England!!!

Jacob's Ladder by Bruce Joel Rubin (illustrated screenplay with commentary). Now I own the movie, the screenplay, and the t-shirt. And the funny thing is, the first thing I got was the shirt. Hadn't even seen the movie yet. But those commercials used to freak me out.

The Varieties of Scientific Experience - Carl Sagan. I kind of wish that "The" wasn't in the title. Doesn't it seem a little too much like a claim of comprehensiveness? Which...yeah right! I mean, come on. Not in this slim volume.

Amphigorey Too - Edward Gorey

Disputed Questions - Thomas Merton.*

5 comments:

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dogimo said...

And not just any six books. Two cartoon books, a screenplay, a novel, an adapted lecture series and an essay collection!

I have to say, Dorian Gray hardly lives up to the picture I paint of it. But still, a book I don't regret reading; a book one ought to have read.

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dogimo said...

Why do I know that? Hell, I didn't read it 'til last year.

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.