Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Fortune Cookies These Days Suck

I don't like these fortune cookies you get these days that are basically compliment cookies. I don't need to be told, "People admire you for your integrity," or "You are smart and energetic, and have beautiful eyes." I don't need that from a cookie! I can get that on the street from anybody, or by looking in a mirror! What I want from my fortune cookie is a g.d. fortune, g.d. it!

Anyway, I was thinking somebody needs to give the fortune cookie industry a good goose right in the keyster, and who better than me right? I was thinking I might start a big fortune cookie conglomerate with actual fortunes in there on the little paper strip. Stuff like:

• “Your death will be happy, but extremely unexpected”
• “Your stony façade will turn to mud and grass in the coming storm”
• “Someone whom you would never suspect is about to surprise you”
• “Your life’s work is heading in a new and unexpected direction”
• “Your lost keys will find their way into the very wrong hands”
• “Keep looking over your shoulder pal, because one of these days, I’m going to be there”

Okay, maybe not those specific ones, but you get the idea: predictions! Good, bad or ambiguous - especially ambiguous. What good is a compliment from a strip of paper? Whereas, when it comes to a prediction, from a fortune cookie...well hell, we can all suspend disbelief for a second and drift away on the fizzy tide of an enjoyable bit of mild superstition. Can't we?

No comments: