Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

On the Job

I come in, I get the job done - I am unstoppably competent. If I have a weakness it's that there's never enough of me to go around. The work just keeps piling up, and I just keep pushing it around. Sometimes months go by but I keep track of what I'm letting slide versus what I'm pushing into the "done" pile. I can't just prioritize whatever's in front of me, I have to do some other thing first! That's called multi-tasking.

It's kind of a vicious cycle really, because after a while people come to expect a certain standard. Then I'm the one who has to tell them, "sorry, BUD!" But I do what I have to, for the good of the organization.

The other day, I stormed straight into my boss's office and let him know who boss was. In no uncertain terms. Sometimes you just have to do that, and when I do, let me tell you: I lay it on the line. I'm not shy about it in the slightest.

That's probably the best/worst aspect of my job.

2 comments:

Magna said...

>The other day, I stormed straight into my boss's office and let him know who boss was. In no uncertain terms.

"You have GOT to understand one thing: You're the boss around here."

dogimo said...

I don't mince words.