Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, February 04, 2008

There's this person who...

There's this person who, we used to have a really good rapport and I thought of her warmly as a friend. We'd interact all the time, back and forth, repartee and such. And I believe she also felt quite warmly towards me. But now I think she doesn't. I have the idea that she feels coolly towards me. I think it's my attitude: brash. Unrepentantly brash. Unapologetically brash.

Well, I'm not sorry. This is me, this is WHO I AM. If you want to be friendly with me in a passing, casual fashion, then THIS is what you are going to have to ACCEPT. That's the price of acquaintanceship with a guy like me. I don't do anything by half-measures. You need to be willing to give a 100% commitment to occasionally chiming in on one of my remarks, or making a humorous allusion to me where I can hear it and respond knowingly, or spending time in company with me and others, passing the rich banter around like a platter laden with scrumptious and sumptuous dainties, or even just occasionally giving me a "that's a reasonable point, I agree with that" or a "Here's where you're wrong...", or even just wondering silently to yourself about the state of my head - but caringly, always caringly.

If you can't commit to me at that level, then at least be up front with me and say so. Don't keep me on the string, here.

1 comment:

dogimo said...

unregenerately brash