Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, February 25, 2008

Work For Tips? Here's A Tip

You know what? If you're making change for somebody in a situation where they'd be expected to tip you, try to give them change back that makes it easy (or at least, possible) for them to give you an appropriate tip. For instance, if a $5.80 tip would be 20%, and the change is $11, don't give me back a ten and a fucking one unless you're cool with me leaving $1. If I gave you two twenties, that could be a subtle hint that I don't have a shitload of ones on me at the moment. Fuck!

I'm the best tipper, ordinarily. I only tip down to a flat 20% if the service was inexcusably poor. I've never stiffed anybody on a tip (unless I missed some math somewhere, which is possible). But when somebody makes me wait on the check, makes me wait before they take the check, then gives me bullshit change and makes me call them back over to break up the change they gave me, just so I can give them a damn tip, that really makes me want to go against my principles.

Which, I was wondering: when I was a kid I always heard 15% was standard. Now I always hear that 20% is standard. How was this accomplished? An act of the legislature, or some more subtle means? Perhaps it was a motion carried at a prestigious conference for service industry bigwigs.

I'm not complaining mind you. The math for 20% is much easier.

Anyway, this is just common sense more than anything else. If someone has enough change on them, then they would have just left what they wanted to leave and then left. If they have to wait around for the change, that's a mighty nifty indicator that they might be depending on using that change to make up your tip.

Making it hard for someone to give you a tip isn't in anyone's best interest.

No comments: