Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, March 24, 2008

I've Still Got Serious Reservations About Desert Storm

I've still got serious reservations about the first Gulf War. The one they called Desert Storm?

See, I don't think they should have called it that.

Remember in the early days, when it was "Operation Desert Shield"? They weren't on the offensive yet, they were just moving into place, getting set up and fortified, et cetera. Well, if it was "Desert Shield" at that phase, then when they went offensive it should have been called "Desert SWORD" not "Desert Storm." A Storm is like, all violent and random, blowing everything away indiscriminately and raining thunder and hail all over the place. Whereas. A Sword is more like - precision! Sweep in with finesse and puissance, disarm and fillet the enemy with brutal, swift strokes. Plus...Shield...SWORD! Shield...SWORD!

It just "goes"!

Desert Storm.

I mean, ok, admittedly the offensive itself might have played out a bit more like the storm imagery I quoted above than the sword imagery. But my position is, if they'd conceived it the other way, and executed it the other way, it would have worked out better for them militarily.

No comments: