Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

More Frustrated Ambitions: Ang Lee's Hulk: The Musical

I don't know if anyone here saw Ang Lee's Hulk. Well I did, and I was very impressed by the score. It had a good score. That descending motif! VERY science gone dangerous.

So I've been floating the idea of working up an adaptation of Ang Lee's Hulk for the stage. A musical. It would be called Ang Lee's Hulk.

I'm a little leery of what my chances of getting sued would be, on such a venture. If it were unauthorized, I mean. I'm sure I would not be given permission! But they say it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. And personally, that's how I like to conduct my affairs.

I'd also be planning to rip off the theme song to the old 60's Marvel Comics limited-animation Hulk cartoon. It just slots into the concept so sweetly! During each transformation scene, a greek chorus of extras dressed as gamma rays (don't ask) would troop in from both sides and perform a circular, choreographed stomping routine around the lead actor while singing:

"DOC BRUCE BANNER!!
PELTED BY GAMMA RAYS!!
TURNS INTO -
ANG LEE'S HULK!!"

While all this is going on, the lead actor completes his hasty transformation by smearing green greasepaint on his face, putting on a ripped shirt and a big spiky green wig such as Lou Ferrigno wore, plus a pair of those big modelled foam HULK HANDS.

The extras would slip him all that stuff surreptitiously. He couldn't carry those foam hands stuffed under his regular clothes the whole show! That would be a bit of a tipoff as to his secret. We must maintain a certain suspendability, for disbelief's sake.

Anyway, I think that as I've conceived it, it would be an awesome regional theater experience. I think I can pull together the financing too, if I tell them that some guy on the internet told me I won't get sued.

Let's leave it up to the commenters!

No comments: