Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My Struggle Towards Exercise Addiction

So lately I've been doing 100 sit-ups EVERY SINGLE NIGHT that I remember to do it. That works out to twice or maybe 3 times a week. Potentially it could become literally every night if my memory improves.

Part of the whole experiment is to test my theory that situps improve memory.

Also, today I did ten pushups. I like how it made me feel.

Frankly I'm a little worried about it. I worry that I may have a propensity, I may have a certain weakness to becoming addicted to it. Addicted to that "rush" of so-called endorphins or endolphins or whatever they're so-called. What is that, anyway? A hormone? Or a...a gland secretion, right? Glands secrete hormones, I think. But do they secrete other things as well?

See, this is what I'm talking about - this is the danger. We don't even know what our bodies are pumping out, what goofy junk is being dumped into our bloodstream to make us "feel good" when we "push the envelope" of physical performance to the limit - like I've been doing. For all we know, we could get hooked on that junk. Maybe it's a hormone, and maybe it isn't. But it's definitely a substance. And as we all know only too well from reality television shows like "Celebrity Intervention," substances are prone to being abused. Substances have a distinct predilection towards being abused. They like it. It makes them feel important - like we NEED them.

Well, forget it, substances! I'm the one in charge here. I'm cutting these potentially addictive substances off - COLD TURKEY!! No more workouts.

Except maybe tonight. Just one more. One more won't hurt me.

2 comments:

lacrema said...

It seems to me that daily exercise for 30 days results in the rough equivalent of an addiction. It's just getting 30 days of exercise, all together, that is the hard part.

Maybe I'll just lace my water bottle with a slight dusting of meth. That would make this whole hing easier.

dogimo said...

SHOOT! I totally forgot about my situps!

Right back to it. When you fall off the horse, you just gotta strap that rubber band right back around and plunge back in! Metaphorically.

You know, I think there needs to be a refinement in terminology. What is addiction?

I swear I had a thought coming there.