Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

April Fool!

April Fool's Day is pretty sweet. You get like, one free lie on whoever you meet!

Make sure it's a good one.

Now, I'm not too clear on the rules. So I have to ask: must you absolutely, always immediately let them know that it's a lie, by crying out "April Fool!" right then? I don't think that's absolutely necessary. I mean, yes, sure, you DO have to say it! But I don't think you have to say it immediately. You can let it play out a little. Give the joke a little room to breathe, first.

April Fool's Day might be a good day to unobtrusively steer conversations into areas where you know someone's been dying to ask you a particular question, but you've successfully evaded them up to this point. Get those questions out of the way today. But: VERY IMPORTANT! Jot it down. Make a note of it. Then if it comes up years later, you can say "did I say that? Did I say that I never cheated on you? Let me check my notes. Ah yes...there it is! Ah, ah, ah! See what day that was, darling?"

"April Fool!"

2 comments:

Magna said...

I like to postpone it randomly. That way, I give myself a free "April Fools Day" whenever.

dogimo said...

I'm not entirely sure about the reveal. The reveal might be postponable. But the "fool" must be perpetrated on April 1st for it to be excused free and clear under the April Fool exemption. On this point, society stands united. I am almost certain.