Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Evolution: Get It Together!

Man, if I was a bird species...and some damn butterfly tried to evolve to become inedible to me...whether by being poisonous, or I don't know, just plain unpalatable - you know, à la your Monarchs or whatever? The second some butterfly tried that move, that would be it for them. I'd be like, "oh, so we can't eat you, is that the idea? Okay, I guess I can't eat you. However I can still beak you to death and spit you out, you foul-tasting flutterbug! BYAAAH! Like that?? DO YA!!?"

Only I'd say all that in birdsong, of course. Pretty!

Why should you give them a free pass, when they've taken direct steps to screw you out of a meal? You do that, they'll just keep on multiplying and multiplying - come on birds! Get it together. Get strategic on this. They're only bugs! You on the other hand are the higher order of being here. You're holding the cards. It's only an evolutionary benefit to the butterfly if you play into it.

If I was a bird species I would make it my business to kill every dang butterfly there was, except the very most delicious of butterflies. These would then multiply to fill the ecosystem, and me and my species would be living fat on the hog for the duration.

Sweet.

No comments: