Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Open Dream Journal #23: You Have No Right

I had the weirdest dream last night. You know that Phil Collins movie, Against All Odds? Well okay, he wasn't in it, but it was his song. The dream started out, I was watching that movie. But then before long I lost perspective. As one does in dreams, I got sucked in. Suddenly I was in it. I was living the movie.

I hasten to point out that I've never seen the movie. In fact, the entirety of that movie that I've actually seen can be contained in the clips from the video for Phil Collins's "Against All Odds." So I was forced to improvise. Quite a bit.

I have to say, as sucky as that movie probably was, it had to have been better than what I came up with. And to make matters worse, my conscious dream-mind was in total disagreement with my subconscious as to what direction the movie was supposed to go. My subconscious seemed to think it was some kind of gritty corruption/drug running/love triangle. I ended up trying to turn it into a musical. I was really revving up into my big musical number "...well, you have nooo riiiiiiiiiight...!" when suddenly the look of utter dismay in the eyes of my female romantic lead (part played by one of my work contacts who has always thought very well of me, and vice versa, really, the last person I'd want to unimpress so it was very painful and awkward to say the least) the look of utter dismay in her eyes caught me aback, and suddenly I realized...!

That's "Separate Lives." This is Against All Odds.

God, how embarrassing. What a mistake to make.

After that, there was no question of me winning her away from her overbearing shady business kingpin creep of a husband.

But I guess that's a good thing, though! In reality, they're happily married.

1 comment:

Sean Scully said...

This dream is similar in many ways to the actual movie. Well, perhaps with a little Tequila Sunrise added in. That was a nightmarish kick-in-the-nuts of a movie also. Imagine that as a combo movie, or perhaps a double feature. I am losing sleep already, and I haven't even gone to bed yet.