Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Work: Yeah, Sure I Guess!

A lot of people ask me, "hey man, with all your talents and skills, with your sheer force of personality, with all your hundreds of songs that you've written, with your plethora of screenplay ideas, with your one half-done actual screenplay, with your rare knack for a witty non mot or bon sequitur, with your sheer force of personality, why aren't you doing something spectacular with your life? Why are you stuck working some office-style job? Why?"

Yes, that is a direct quote. I don't know why so many people choose exactly the same words to give voice to their confusion on that score. Apparently I inspire a very highly-specific confusion in others, such that the feelings engendered just want to express themselves in very precise words. It's getting so I can finish up the whole speech in unison with them, but I'd rather not mock anyone paying me a compliment, so I don't.

Anyway, to answer the question "why?"

Well, because I like it. I like working in jobland, living in housetown. I think a lot of these people dreaming about rock stardom or hollywood celebrity, or praying to win the lottery or what have you, I think a lot of these people are cheating themselves out of one of adulthood's most deeply satisfying pleasures: the simple joy of a job well done. The good feeling that comes from an honest day's work for a hard day's pay.

I see plenty of people at work who take pride in what they do. It's an important part of their self-image. I think they get what I'm talking about. Sure, like everyone they'll make those sorts of cracks about the whole drudgery aspect. But you can tell underneath it they've got that zeal.

When I get home at the end of a hard-earned day, I feel like I can respect myself for having done my part, and that the rest of the day - I can goof off! I love to goof off.

Especially at work. Which brings the whole thing sort of "full circle."

No comments: