Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, May 08, 2008

April Is Poetry Month Pt. 3 or is it 4 (belated)

Every Now And Then, A Noose

Every now and then a noose
drops from the sky and strangles a guy
right before he can say the three
most important words of his life.
Now when that happens - as his feet
kick out sideways and he's lifted
hovering a foot off the earth,
twisting, trying to make gurking noises
("gurk! gurk!") eyes bugging out,
neck straining, head back unable
to see the rope, to see what its attached to -
what is going through his mind? Is it
"oh no - no! Not now! I did not get
the chance to tell her: 'I love you'?"
Fuck no. It's "get this fucking noose
off me!" I mean, let's be real here.
Love is a luxury you can only pause
to consider when you're not in the process
of being being choked to death
by
a
mysterious
airborne
noose.

No comments: