Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, May 08, 2008

The Black Keys Are Like the AC/DC of Being Themselves

If asked, if pressed, I would like to put the Black Keys on the same basic level as AC/DC. Albeit, the level itself is sort of...tilted, and the Black Keys would be over on the down end, whereas AC/DC would be over on the top end of it. I guess some people might say that's unfair, to put them both on that same tilted level together. But that's not how I see it. I say it's fair.

When I say that, what I mean is that within their respective oeuvres, they both manage to keep all their albums sounding about the same. Album to album, pretty much the same. Which is a sweet trick if you can pull it off with a great sound and decent songs! And nobody else would claim otherwise, where these two greats are concerned - lest they get a crack across the mouth for that.

Which is a definite threat. Don't mess with me on this. That's right.

Now when I say "greats," I really should clarify, or to be more precise, contradict myself: AC/DC is "a great." The Black Keys...they may get there one day. Right now, they're a great band already, but not perhaps yet "a great."

So for any confusion I may have occasioned with my remarks on that score, glad we got that straightened out.

No comments: