Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, May 09, 2008

Tips for Aspiring Short Story Writers

You want to know a sure-fire way to add dramatic impact to a short story you're writing? Drop a baby on its head.

I'm serious, I've read like 2 or 3 short stories lately where they drop a baby on its head. It works. It's like money in the bank, drama-wise. Instant dramatic heft. There are always all these emotional repercussions, and - well, there would be, wouldn't there? You drop a baby on its head, come on! There are going to be some repercussions.

The first time I came across this little trick in a short story, by the time I finished the story I cried! Literally. Cried tears. It was undeniable! Tragic. Even if you're not a sentimentalist like me, that's going to get you. You're just minding your business, reading a short story, suddenly they drop a baby on its head - whoa! That's a grabber!

Now the second time, they didn't really pull it off as neatly. So it didn't have quite the same impact, but it was still one hell of a gut-punch! How could it not be? Just remember, if you're going to drop a baby on its head, you have to pull it off with some style. Make the most of the opportunity. You're pulling out the big guns, there - don't waste it! Don't cheapen the effect with a half-assed effort. No matter how great a plot point or an incident you have up your sleeve, you always have to deliver the goods, writing-wise! You can't just drop a baby on its head and think you're home free. You need to do it with panache. And yet...just from the incident alone, it's so charged that you start off way ahead of the game! It's like writing downhill. Pull it off with a even little panache, and you can ride that momentum all the rest of the way.

The third time - now, I didn't actually see three stories. There were only two that I could swear to. Sometimes you may say "2 or 3," even though you know the number is two, but you choose to say "2 or 3" because you want to convey that additional emphasis. That's another example of good writing ratcheting up the impact a bit.

For a while now I've been planning on writing a book of short stories. I had a sweet title idea for it and everything! In fact, getting the title idea was the only reason I wanted to do a book of short stories in the first place. It was that good. But then when I noticed this baby thing, I started to think I might put that in there. Something like that...see, short stories are a difficult form. You need to pack your stories with an emotional jolt. That extra boost could mean the difference between getting published! I figure I could probably get away with dropping a baby on its head in like, half the stories. Maybe in a couple of the stories, that would be the main focus. In the rest of them it could just be a secondary thing, or an element in the backstory, or maybe just happening in the background or something.

Because I'll tell you what: it's a guaranteed gut-wrencher no matter how you do it! How could it not be.

So that's one tip. If you think about it, you can probably come up with some others yourself.

2 comments:

Sean Scully said...

My wife dropped our first son on his head once. While it felt very dramatic at the time, it actually amounted to nothing and he was perfectly fine after a few minutes. As it was, it made for an astonishingly short story.

dogimo said...

Oh, yeah - I come from a family with nine kids. Ton of baby-dropping going on. Everybody turned out FINE - ESPECIALLY ME.