Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, June 22, 2008

I Just Spanked the Back of My Knee

I just spanked the back of my knee - the crook of my knee? The part of the leg behind the knee, on the joint facing that bends acutely rather than obtusely.

It was itching. And it's kind of hot, it's actually hot as heck today, so it's maybe a little sweaty back there too, you know, how it can get. And I felt like I didn't want to scratch it. Didn't want to risk the possibility of raising a rash. I'm wearing shorts, it'd look dumb with a big red rash back there. It'd be like, got any calamine?

Anyhow so I just started slapping at it, smacking the whole area pretty hard with a firm hand. And it was great. Felt great! Really did the trick. Hit the spot. "Literally," as they say.

And the aftermath, it didn't feel like it does after you scratch it, where the skin feels all good but also possibly all bothered like it's going to break out on you. The skin likes the scratch, you see, but sometimes instead of being satisfied with the scratch it tries to get more scratch by generating more itch. This is the neurophysiological explanation of a rash, and I wasn't about to play into that cycle. So instead of a scratch - I smacked the hell out of that whole area, repeatedly.

My skin was stunned. The itch was satisfied, yes, but the skin itself just...stunned. Like "WTF? What was that supposed to be? Do we want that to happen again?"

My skin never knows what the hell's going on. Still. I'm partial to it.

1 comment:

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.